Fees for adoption
All dogs adopted from Alberta Dachshund Rescue will be spayed or neutered, vaccinations up to date, and most other medical concerns dealt with before being placed in any home. Adoption fees are as follows:
- Adult dogs (0-8yrs) $400.00
- Senior dogs (9 yrs and older) $300.00
Adoption fees are subject to change due to circumstance (e.g., pairs of dogs, dogs with ongoing medical conditions, etc.). Fees are based on vet expenses that are done before the dog is adopted.
Basic vet fees are approximate and vary depending on the vet clinic. The following fees are for dogs up to 15lbs:
- Spay $300 - $350.00
- Neuter $250.00- $300.00
- Vaccinations and deworming $90.00 +
- Dental $300.00-$600.00
- Dachshund back surgery $5000 ++
- Other medical expenses that come up .......endless
All funds for veterinary care etc. for rescue dogs come from fundraising and adoption fees. We are a non-profit organization so every penny goes back into the dogs that need us.
If you are interested in adopting a dachshund from Alberta Dachshund Rescue, here is how it works:
1. Fill out an application form. At any given time, we are probably working with numerous interested parties, so we need a completed application form (instead of a phone call or email) to ensure each application is given the appropriate attention.
2. The application form is assigned to a volunteer for verification of the veterinary and personal references you provided. The results are kept strictly confidential between you and ADR. Any questions you may have will be happily answered by the volunteer assigned to process the application or the dog's foster parents.
3. We arrange to visit you at your home. Dachshunds, like any other breed, have particular needs and personality traits, so an ADR volunteer will visit you to discuss the suitability of your environment for a dachshund as well as the pros and cons of having one in the family. We want you to understand exactly what you are signing up for before you adopt any dog in our care.
4. Arrangements are made for you to visit the dog you are interested in at it's foster home depending on where the dog is. We encourage you to visit several dogs and make more than one visit to a dog you are seriously considering. The foster parents will assist you in determining if the dog under their care is the right one. During your visit(s), the dog's response to you is also evaluated. This matching process is critical and should be part of any pet acquisition.
5. You take your potential fur-ever buddy home for a 30 day trial period. Anytime within that period, the dog may be returned to ADR and your adoption fee will be refunded.
If for any reason, you cannot keep the dog after the initial 30 day trial, it must be returned to ADR.
The adoption fee will not be refunded.